How Much Does It Cost To Build A Health & Fitness Mobile App?
The current scenario is such that even though we have so many ways to stay fit, we still are not able to. Most people work for more than nine hours and travel for two hours. The rest of the time is spent relaxing or meeting people. They hardly have any energy left to go to the gym or go for a walk. Working out at home is also a daunting task as we don’t have the proper equipment or knowledge. But as we all know any form of exercise if we want to stay fit and healthy is important. We accumulate a lot of calories on a daily basis because most people eat junk food instead of a homemade meal. Unless we burn that extra calorie, it won’t leave our body and we will become overweight. And that is why many people have started using health and fitness app. These apps can help you achieve your health goals by aiding you to work out at home. There are numerous fitness app and on-demand beauty and wellness app in the market. These apps offer personalized diet charts and exercises to their consumer to help them lose weight. Since some time, users are downloading more and more health and fitness mobile applications. That is why more app development companies are looking to invest in it. In this blog, we will learn exactly what features your health app should have. Also, how you can create your own fitness app and what is the cost of the same.
Statistics For Health And Fitness AppsThe below image shows the use of different types of fitness mobile apps that are used by different people: The growth rate of the fitness industry is 2.6% globally. A report by IHRSA states the total revenue of this industry was $87.5 billion in 2018.
Types Of Health &Fitness Mobile ApplicationThere are many types of health and fitness apps available in the market. Some only have exercises while others also provide us with a diet plan. Let’s find out how many types of fitness apps are there:
1. Exercise apps / Workout appsDue to their hectic schedule doesn't allow many people are not able to go to the gym every day. They can take the help of a fitness mobile app to stay healthy. An exercise app provides you with a visual demonstration of the exercise that you can do at home. The smartphone works as your personal trainer. It shows you the preset weight loss or muscle building workout which you can do at home. The app also has a notebook where the user can save all his/her personal details and workout session. It helps them to keep a track of their progress.
2. Physical Activities Tracking AppsA fitness tracking application tracks all physical activity you did during the say. It includes walking, running, jogging, exercising and even sleeping (you lose calories even while sleeping!). For counting the number of times you walked or ran or provide data about the calories you burnt, the app uses motion sensors of your phone. Along with the sensors and phone's GPS, they calculate your physical activity and inform you. With this app, you can set realistic weight loss goals and achieve it.
3. Mobile apps for YogaAs the name suggests, this health and fitness app is all about Yoga. It demonstrates different postures of Yoga according to your health requirement. Some apps only have limited Yoga asana while other has all asana.
4. Diet planning/nutrition appsThese types of app help the user follow a diet plan for losing weight or gaining muscles. They have tie-ups with a dietician that provides a diet plan and suggest what food works for them or not. These types of apps also track your sugar, water, and calorie intake so that you can reach your weight goals easily.
How To Make Money From An Health And Fitness App?Here are some ways through which you make money with your fitness app:
1. Paid SubscriptionIn this, you make your app free for users. But there are some additional features that are paid. It’s a very popular idea as all users get free features, and if they want additional features they have to pay a monthly or weekly fee.
2. AdvertisementsYou can place ads in your app to make money. It is not very popular as users get annoyed with ads and switch to other apps.
3. Fees for a personal trainerLike Fitocracy, you can charge users a fee for working out with a professional trainer personally.
How To Create Your Own Fitness App?: User Side FeaturesYou can choose the additional features you want in your app according to its purpose. But these are must-have apps for your app:
1. Making your accountThe users have to register after installing the app. They can sign-up using their phone number or email address. Some apps allow for social signing too.
2. User profileNow, the user has to fill in their personal details like name, sex, age, height, weight and so on. It will allow the app to customize the exercises for the user. Also, users can edit their profile anytime they want.
3. Integration with social mediaThe users can link their social media account with the fitness mobile app.
4. Multi-device synchronizationThe users have the option to connect their fitness app with Bluetooth, GPS, smart watches and so on. It will help them to track their progress smoothly.
5. Task/goal settingThe user can set their personal weight loss or muscle building goals. They have the option to set other goals too with this app.
6. Preset exerciseBased on the details filled by users, the app will show them preset exercise regime to follow.
7. Activity LogIn this, users can log their daily physical activity and track them too.
8. Virtual Reality fitness ExperienceSome apps provide the option to train with a professional without leaving their home through VR headsets.
9. Geolocation IntegrationWith this, the user can track how many steps they walked or ran. Geolocation integration lets user track their progress better.
10. PaymentMost health and fitness apps are free of cost. But some apps only provide a limited free trial. After that, the users have to pay a certain amount for premium features. The apps can have various payment gateways like PayPal or Braintree or debit/credit cards. Integrate multiple payment methods for the ease of customers.
11. Push NotificationThe app will inform the user about their achievement of weekly or monthly goal through push notification. Also, users get various other alerts via push notification.
How To Create You Own Fitness App?: Features Of Admin PanelThe owner of the app has to provide users with live sessions and training exercises. For this, they partner up with the dietician, gym owners, and coaches. To provide these services and maintain a balance, they too have to register and log in on the app. Here are some of the features of the admin side:
DashboardThe clients access the dashboard first after logging. Here they can keep track of all their sessions. It includes live sessions, chats and so on.
Accounts SectionA section where the client can see details pertaining to all his/her transactions.
Payment SectionThe clients can pay the coaches and all through this section. Most health and fitness apps accept all types of cards and payment via wallet.
Tools For Promotion:The firm can use various tools to their fitness apps for promotion. They are Loyalty Programs, Cashbacks and referral programs. Moreover, for marketing, you can choose to include social buttons and push notification.
How To Create Your Fitness App?: Additional FeaturesSome fitness app has these additional features too that make their app stand out:
- They partner-up with gym trainer or fitness experts. They have a live session where they motivate the users and answer their queries.
- Some health and fitness apps provide a personal trainer to every user. They create an exercise and diet plan for the user.
- Some fitness apps like Healthifyme let the user talk with a dietician. They help them understand the importance of healthy eating and also make a diet chart for them.
How To Create Your Own Fitness App?- Technology Stack
- Push Notifications – Twilio, Push.io
- Nutrition Feeds – nutrition, myfitnesspal
- Payment Gateway – Braintree & PayPal
- GWT – for Powerful Programming
- Datastax – for Data Management
- Mandrill – E-mails
- Debian – the Universal Operating System
- Database – MongoDB and Cassandra
- Cloud Environment – AWS
- Real-time Analytics – Hadoop, Spark, BigData, Apache Flink, Cisco, IBM
- Integration with Wearable – Fitbit, Garmin, Apple-watch, jawbone
Back-End TechnologiesKeep the main frameworks for your health and fitness app as Python and Java. Here are some other technology options you can choose from to lower the cost of development:
- Kafka Software- for managing and processing data in real-time
- Amazon S3- For storage
- GraphWalker- To integrate other services with Python services and model-based testing
- Chromium Embedded Framework - For the desktop-based UI
- Nginx open source framework- For HTTP and proxy server.
Other back-end servicesHere are your options for other backend services:
Cloud StorageFor your on-demand beauty and wellness app, you will need ample of storage. For this purpose either you can use your own server. Or you can choose cloud storage from Amazon S3, Azure or Google.
Content Delivery Networks (CDNs)A highly scalable CDN service is required for serving the users better. You can either configure your own server or choose a cloud server like Amazon Cloud Front.
Server Load BalancerThe use of this tool is to handle the bulk traffic or files request. Either you can use the Amazon cloud server or your own server to handle the application's traffic.
Video/audio TranscodingThe backend process requires the developers to transcode the media files in various other media formats. It is done to make sure that all the major browsers and devices support the fitness mobile app. For this purpose you have the following options:
- FFMPEG- An open-source software
- Third-Party Solution- Amazon Elastic Transcoder
- The developer can also use PHP or Java.
How To Create Your Own Fitness App?- Team StructureTo make a quality health and fitness app, you need to work with a mobile app development company. They will provide you with a team that will help you develop the best app.
1. Project ManagerA project manager is a person who has expert knowledge about the mobile app industry. He/she has enough information to make tough decisions and finds quick solutions to problems that the rest of the team might face.
2. DevelopersDevelopers are the real people behind creating a fitness app from scratch. The developers in the team should have knowledge about developing both native and web app. Also, hire both iOS and Android developer for your app development project. It is important that you make a contract with the developers to provide you with technical support and bug fixes.
3. DesignersDesigners are important because if the app is not attractive, the users will uninstall it. So, other than strong coding you need good UI/UX designers for an attractive looking app. The designer decides on the color, theme, and background and so on. They are responsible for making every frame look good on the screen.
4. TestersTesters are the people who certify your app. They test your app against every possible combination to check for errors and bugs. Only after they are satisfied, they give you certification to launch your fitness mobile app in the market. If your testing team is strong, you won’t require bug fixes in the future.
How much does it cost to make a fitness app?To create a fitness app, you will require a team and invest time. We already read above the structure of the team required for developing a health and fitness mobile application. Now the three major factors that influence the cost and time spent on an on-demand beauty and wellness app are:
- The size and complexity of the app
- How many platforms the app will run on?
- Which country is the development center for your app? Different countries have different hourly rates.
- For US developers: $50-$250 per hour
- For Eastern Europe developers: $30-$150 per hour
- For Indian developers: $10 to$ 80 per hour
- Documentation for technical work- (40 hours) $1000 to $2000
- UI/UX design (60 Hours) $1500 to $3000
- Front-end and Back-end development (400 Hours – $10,000 to $ 20,000)
- MVP testing (80 Hours – $2000 to $4000)
- Fixing errors (40 hours – $1000 to $2000)